Saturday, September 14, 2013

Bucket List: SCUBA Diving (again)




This year has really been quite an adventure for my muscle man and I! This is really more of a 'bucket list' item for him as I've already checked it off mine... I've been a certified diver for 13 years now, but had gotten out of practice since I didn't have anyone to go with until now! So even though  I was a little worried about diving into such an expensive hobby (pun intended =P) I'm really glad my muscle man decided to get certified!





The best thing about him deciding to get into scuba is that we actually live about 15 minutes away from a great little quarry that's been flooded and turned into a dive location. It's actually the place I took my check out dives when I got certified(it's like the road test when you get a driver's license, you have to pass a written test, but then you have to go on several dives with your instructor before you can scuba dive on your own). And as fate would have it, it's also where my muscle man wound up going to do his check out dives too!

I went with his group for a bit of a refresher for myself, there were actually quite a few parents of kids in the group doing the same thing haha. My muscle man's instructor decided they would do the required 4 scuba dives in one day, which was quite exhausting, but really fun!



Since that trip was mostly more about testing skills, and since we had a really big group, we didn't get to see much of the quarry. But since it's only 15 minutes from our house, we decided a few weeks later to go back just the two of us and get in a few more dives and have some fun.  =)

This trip was a lot more relaxed, and it was great to get into the water with my muscle man and swim around for a bit, and explore some of the less explored areas around the quarry. It goes down really deep, something like 180feet, but we stayed shallow since there was this terrible thermocline (level of freezing ass cold water) at about 40'.

So aside from dipping down into that cold area to check out a wrecked car or something, we stayed shallow and just took our time checking things out. As we were swimming around, I noticed the absolute coolest thing I've seen while diving in freshwater... jellyfish... no really... A JELLY freaking FISH... In freshwater! I tried to get a photo of it, but without a macro filter or any advanced settings on my little point and shoot 35mm underwater camera, a blurry little smudge is the best I could do =P



It was still quite a fun little day out at the quarry, but we still haven't fully explored all that's in this little hole. So I'm sure that we will check it out again at some point, if for nothing else than to just keep our skills up between more adventurous dive trips. =)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great time. I'd love to go scuba diving one day especially with my boyfriend. I did it once in a pool where it was just me and the instructor but it didn't go so well. But now I've met someone who loves it just as much as I do I hope to try it again one day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...